Introducing the OIC’s Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Advisory Committee
2020-10-08 10:47 PDT
Last night, Superintendent Ghalib Bhayani hosted the inaugural meeting of the OIC’s (Officer in Charge) Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Advisory Committee. Held at North Vancouver RCMP, the meeting adhered to pandemic procedures as set out by the Provincial Health Authority.
The Committee was struck as a way to solicit advice from North Vancouver’s diverse communities to inform the Detachment’s ongoing efforts to deliver bias-free policing services. Committee members were invited based upon their proven community advocacy, diverse experiences, and knowledge of North Vancouver’s unique culture.
I could not be more excited to launch this Committee, said Superintendent Ghalib Bhayani,
The North Vancouver RCMP belongs to the community: we are your police service. By bringing diverse voices to the table, we can plot the way forward as we establish inclusive initiatives and continue to build positive relationships.
The mandate of the Committee is to provide the Officer in Charge of the North Vancouver RCMP with expert advice in the areas of:
- multiculturalism and promoting collaboration between diverse groups through improving of policies, programming and initiatives
- identifying and responding to issues of community concern
- assisting in the assessment of operational policies to ensure equity, diversity, belonging and inclusion are supported
- promoting inclusion and building healthy relationships with youth, seniors, vulnerable populations and newcomers to our community
- providing input to the current and future RCMP cultural awareness and sensitivity training initiatives
- helping to develop appropriate training for the North Vancouver RCMP police member.
"I'm looking forward to working with the North Vancouver RCMP and invested community partners to make sure the voices of diverse groups are heard when it comes to policy changes and how police respond to the needs of our communities," said Committee member Jessica Thompson.
The Committee with be co-chaired by a community leader and RCMP Sergeant Peri Mainwaring of the North Vancouver RCMP. They will meet six times a year.
Committee members include:
• Adam Steele
• Alroy Baker
• Emma Elvin
• Emma Milley Loreen Barnett
• Jessica Thompson
• Karineh Farahmand
• Loewen Barnett
• Marla Evans
• Marylou Tamayao-Gibbs
• Naz Kohan
• Petrit Deçani
• Sempulyan Gonzales
- Date modified: