RCMP investigating assault of woman by local taxi driver
2017-12-21 10:58 PST
File # 2017-39904
The Nanaimo RCMP is investigating a report that an adult female was assaulted by a local taxi driver. The incident was allegedly occurred at approximately 2:30 am on Saturday November 25th at an undisclosed location in central Nanaimo.
The victim, who does not reside in Nanaimo, reported the incident to a neighbouring RCMP detachment, who in turn contacted the Nanaimo RCMP to conduct an investigation.
In her statement, the victim alleges she was assaulted by a taxi driver when he diverted his taxi from her requested destination, then drove to a location and assaulted her. She managed to fend off the suspect and left the area unharmed.
Investigators are currently attempting to identify the driver of the taxi and the investigation is continuing. The only description provided of the driver was that he had dark skin and facial hair.
Overall taxi cabs are extremely safe means of transportation. However, any time you get into a taxi or any other ride sharing car, you surrender a little control to another person. Thinking in advance of your personal safety is essential before and during your trip, said Constable Gary O’Brien of the Nanaimo RCMP.
The following tips are offered to assist with your personal safety:
- Call for a taxi instead of hailing one roadside, this will ensure there will be a recorded log of your trip
- Before getting into the cab, if possible take a picture of the license plate, taxi # and the drivers taxi license
- Try to avoid getting into a cab alone if you are intoxicated
- Sit in the backseat and not the front
- Keep your phone out and ready to use if necessary
- Never enter a cab if there is an unknown passenger already in the cab
If anyone has information on this incident, please call the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com, text 274637, keyword Nanaimo or call 1-800-222-8477.
Cst. Gary O'BrienMedia Relations Officer
Community Policing Services, Nanaimo
303 Prideaux St, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 2N3
- Date modified: