Main Detachment – 14355 57 Avenue, Surrey
$76 (plus $25 if fingerprints are required)
- Two pieces of government identification (one must be your Driver's Licence)
- Current driver’s abstract and claims history from ICBC (no older than 30 days)
- Photocopy of valid BC driver’s licence (front and back)
- Original and photocopy of Taxi Host level 1,2 or PRO (for taxi/limo)
- Original chauffeur’s permit if renewing
- Letter from current employer verifying employment
- Vulnerable Sector Check (form supplied at front counter)
Individuals must present TWO (2) pieces of identification with the same name on both from the following list. NOTE: The BC Services Card combined with the BC Driver's Licence is only considered ONE piece of ID.
- Valid Driver’s Licence with photo
- Valid BC Identification Card with photo
- Valid Passport
- Valid Nexus Card
- Native Status Card
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Military Identification
- Birth Certificate
- Firearms Licence
- BC Health Card ( must be separate from the drivers licence)
- Minimum 19 years of age.
- Valid Class 1, 2 or 4 BC Operator's License.
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrant or legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Five or less hazardous moving violations in the past five years as scheduled in the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations.
- Successful completion of 27 hours of industry-related training in the areas of professional driving, taxi industry and local knowledge, and Taxi Host Pro.
- Applications may not be approved while outstanding criminal matters are before the courts. Any other charges or convictions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Grounds for Refusal, Cancellation or Suspension
- Conviction of any serious criminal code offences (e.g. Impaired Driving, Dangerous Driving, Assault, etc.).
- Charged with any serious, violent criminal offence or drug trafficking.
- The applicant has accrued 4 or more motor vehicle violations in the past 5 years.
- More than 1 Sec. 215 Motor Vehicle Act Driver’s License suspension in the past 5 years.
- Charged with operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.
- Charged with operating a vehicle while their driver’s license is suspended or prohibited.
- Excessive customer complaints (3 or more in any 12-month period).
- Subject of any reports indicating health conditions resulting in a lack of fitness to act as a chauffeur.
- Found at fault in 3 or more Motor Vehicle Collisions in the past 6 years.
- Incomplete application or false information in application.
- Applicants charged with any of the offences above can re-apply upon resolution of the outstanding charges.
- Application may be declined if indices check reveals pattern of violence, instability or substance abuse.
Note: Suspension period may vary according to the seriousness of the offence. In some instances, compulsory defensive driving courses and/or alternative measures may be required before reinstatement of a permit.
Note: The application fee is non-refundable in the event of a refusal or cancellation of the Chauffeur Permit.
Applicant must disclose if they have been denied or refused a chauffeur’s permit in any Lower Mainland jurisdiction.
- Applicants have 30 days from date of refusal to appeal through City Council.
- All applicants who have had their permits declined must wait 12 months from their date of refusal before being eligible to re-apply.
A two-year permit will only be issued if you have held a valid city of surrey chauffeur permit for a minimum of 5 consecutive years with a clear driving record. All subsequent renewals for 2-year permit will be dependent on not having more than 2 traffic violation tickets, no administrative driving prohibitions or penalties, no criminal record and no convictions for traffic related offences.
- Date modified: