Roundabout time to figure it out
RCMP have received several enquiries about the rules surrounding roundabouts. As well, there have been complaints regarding drivers that don’t seem to be able to figure out the way to get through a roundabout safely.
With the growing popularity of roundabouts in North America, it might be a good time for a refresher on the rules. The following courtesy of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure:
- Reduce your speed
- Watch for pedestrian and cyclists and be ready to stop
- Always yield to traffic in the roundabout
- Wait for a safe gap in the traffic remembering that those in the roundabout have the right-of-way
- Enter the roundabout to your right
- Continue counter-clockwise until you reach your exit
- Use your right turn signal before exiting
- Watch for pedestrians and cyclists
- Never stop in a roundabout unless traffic conditions require it.
- Never pull over for emergency vehicles inside a roundabout. Pull over for emergency vehicles before entering or after exiting the roundabout.
- Date modified: