Pedestrian in Serious Condition After Being Struck by SUV
2017-11-17 03:50 PST
File # 2017-30093
On November 16th, 2017, around 5:00 pm, a 68 year-old man was seriously injured after being struck by an SUV while walking across a marked crosswalk at Delbrook Ave and Evergreen Pl in North Vancouver.
The driver of a Mercedes SUV was travelling through the intersection and said he did not see the pedestrian because of heavy rainfall and poor visibility. The pedestrian was wearing dark clothing with no reflective gear.
The pedestrian, a North Vancouver resident, was transported by ambulance to hospital where he was treated for several bone fractures and other serious injuries.
This incident occurred less than a month after a joint campaign named "Look-Listen-Be Seen" was organized where local dignitaries, ICBC staff, and police officers gathered to hand out safety reflectors and promote pedestrian safety.
We would like to thank the witnesses who remained on scene to help during the initial investigation, said Cst. Brett Cunningham of the North Vancouver RCMP.
We would also like to remind the public to be vigilant at intersections and crosswalks. With the arrival of the winter weather, visibility can be poor and we can't always count on drivers being able to see us.
The driver of the SUV, a 62 year-old North Vancouver man, remained on scene and is cooperating with police. Charges have yet to be laid and the investigation is ongoing.
As a pedestrian, keep these tips in mind:
- Look - Always make eye contact with drivers. Don’t assume the driver has seen you.
- Listen - Focus on what’s happening around you. Remove headphones and never talk, text, or use electronic devices in an intersection or while crossing a roadway.
- Be Seen - Wear reflective clothing or use reflective gear to make it easier for drivers to see you.
- Be extra cautious at intersections. Watch for vehicles turning left or right through the crosswalk.
- Always cross at designated crosswalks – never mid-block.
Cst. Brett CunninghamNorth Vancouver RCMP
147 E 14th St, North Vancouver RCMP
- Date modified: