Coquitlam RCMP and ICBC team up for pedestrian safety
2017-11-02 08:33 PDT
Coquitlam RCMP officers and volunteers are teaming up with ICBC to educate all pedestrians, but especially adults, on how to stay safe in the darker, wetter months of Standard Time.
ICBC statistics show that, in this province, up to 43 percent of collisions involving a pedestrian happen between October and January. The ICBC numbers also show that people between the ages of 26 and 55 are most at risk of getting hurt.
That’s why on November 7th, RCMP officers, staff and volunteers will be handing out free safety reflectors and tip cards at four locations: two during the morning commute and two more during lunch time. Members of the media are welcome to attend.
When and where:
- Tuesday, November 7th, 2017
- From 5:45 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. at Coquitlam Centre Skytrain and the Port Coquitlam West Coast Express Station
- 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Coquitlam City Hall and moving through various locations in Downtown Port Coquitlam
Tips for pedestrians (from our pedestrian tip cards):
- Wear brighter clothing (especially in bad weather, at dusk or dawn, and at night)
- Focus your full attention on the road and traffic. Leave your phone alone and remove your headphones while crossing the road
- Don’t cross mid-block. Follow pedestrian signs and traffic signals and don’t cross on a yellow or red light
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing a street
- Be cautious at transit stops. Avoid running for the bus and taking shortcuts
Tips for drivers (for keeping pedestrians safer):
- Focus on the road. Always leave your phone or any other hand-held electronic device alone while you’re driving
- Be ready to yield to pedestrians – especially when turning in intersections and near transit stops
- Look twice for pedestrians before turning especially when visibility is poor
- Give yourself extra time and space to stop in case a pedestrian suddenly crosses the street
For more information about pedestrian safety go to the ICBC website.
Cpl. Michael McLaughlinMedia Relations Officer
2986 Guildford Way, Coquitlam, BC V3B 7Y5
- Date modified: