Proper Towing of Boats and Trailers
The improper towing of boats can create dangerous driving conditions resulting in traffic accidents.
When towing a boat or trailer:
- Ensure that the tires on the trailer and tow vehicle are properly inflated.
- Connect safety chains properly.
- Make sure that your boat is properly secured to the trailer.
- Check that the trailer’s signal lights and brake lights are operating properly.
- Ensure that the trailer is properly secured to the trailer hitch.
- Secure and contain all equipment and cargo. This will keep it from shifting within the boat which can affect stability or falling out into traffic.
- Allow for more space between yourself and the vehicle ahead of you. The added weight will increase the stopping distance required.
- If you are traveling for an extended period stop in a safe location to make sure brake lights and signal lights are still working properly.
- Exercise caution when passing another vehicle. The added weight of the boat can dramatically reduce acceleration.
- Date modified: