Rural Crime Watch
Rural Crime Watch is a community-based program designed to reduce crime in rural areas around Prince George & the Regional District of Fraser Fort George. The program involves neighbours helping neighbours by keeping an eye on each other’s property and reporting any suspicious activity to each other and the police. Rural Crime Watch is a proactive approach to crime prevention and is based on the belief that community problems require community solutions.
There are two commitments with Rural Crime Watch:
- Be concerned about your neighbour’s property as you would your own.
- Report suspicious or criminal activity to the police and neighbours.
- Observation and reporting
- Home and property security
- Marking property
Rural Crime Watch provides tips on how to better secure your home; information on how to mark your property; program signage; and information tickets for vehicle checks.
The benefits of Rural Crime Watch include:
- An increase in personal safety.
- An increase in crime awareness and reporting.
- An increase in community spirit.
- A reduction in crime rates and the fear of crime.
- An increase in communication between the public and police.
- The designated Crime Watch Captain arranges an annual meeting where Community Policing provides a presentation addressing community concerns.
Please call Community Policing at (250) 561-3366 for more information on the Rural Crime Watch program.
- Date modified: